The Health Department is closed June 27 for a staff retreat.
Close this search box.
Close this search box.
  • Individual Wells

    Keep your well, well.

    An individual well serves a single family home. To keep your drinking water safe, test your well once a year for bacteria and every three years for nitrate. See Water Quality and Testing for more information.

    Get a Permit.

    If you want to drill a new well, know the requirements.

    Information for well owners.

    Decommissioning/abandoned wells

    Wells no longer in use can lead to contaminated groundwater and pose a safety risk to children, adults and animals.

    Where do I look for abandoned wells?

    • Old pump houses, storage sheds, old detached garages and small building structures on the property.
    • Hand dug wells are often in lowland areas near surface water.

    Look for these signs of an old well:

    • A steel, 6-inch diameter, well casing.
    • Old concrete or brick-lined structures.
    • Old water system components (pumps, plumbing and pressure tanks).
    • Open space under pump house floors.
    • Wooden or cement hatch-like openings to vaults and wellheads.

    Records of old wells:

    • Asbuilt look-up.
    • Washington State Department of Ecology Well Log Viewer.
    • Neighbors who have lived in the area for many years can also be a good source of information.

    What should I do if I have an abandoned well?

    • You are required to decommission a well that is no longer in use.
    • Contact a licensed well driller.
    • Complete a Health Department Well Decommissioning Application.


    Contact us at or (253) 649-1420.