Search
Close this search box.
Search
Close this search box.

We are exposed to mold by breathing mold spores from the air. When an area of mold is disturbed, levels of spores in the air may increase up to 10,000 times. It is important to wear protective equipment for cleanup. Eating mold-contaminated material may also expose us.

There may be toxic effects or allergy. Molds sometimes produce toxins.

Health effects from toxic exposure may include:

  • Tiredness.
  • Nausea.
  • Headache.
  • Respiratory or eye irritation.

Allergic reaction to mold may include:

  • Eye, nose, and sinus irritation.
  • A skin rash.
  • Problems with asthma.

Allergies may be to a specific mold species and you may not react to all mold species. Persons most at risk include young children, elderly, those with compromised immune systems and people with respiratory conditions such as asthma or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.