The Health Department is closed June 27 for a staff retreat.
Close this search box.
Close this search box.
  • Information for Operators

    Inspection and permit information


    Use this checklist to prepare for your inspection.


    Use these monitoring log sheets and keep them for at least three years:

    Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act (VGBA)

    Injury/Illness reporting

    Report all injuries or illnesses to the health department within 48 hours. Email completed forms to

    Permit requirements

    Pools and spas need an annual permit unless properly removed.

    Pool and spa safety signs

    To prevent injuries and illness, post rules where they are easy to see. Add pictures and symbols for easy understanding.

    Post signs reminding users to conduct health checks and shower before using the pool or spa.
    Create your own pool and spa safety signs.

    First-aid kits 

    Make sure your first-aid kit is properly stocked with this supplies list.

    Have a contamination episode?

    Use these fecal incident response guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to properly treat your pool.

    Single main drain guidance

    If you still have a single main drain, use the single main drain guidelines to make sure you follow state and federal requirements.

    Closed for the season?

    Pools or spas that won’t open this year need an Inactive Pool/Spa Permit. The fee is $188 a year for each inactive pool or spa. Call (253) 649-1713 or email to change your permit.

    Permit fees cover the cost of inspections to make sure pools and spas are secure to prevent drowning.


    Email or call (253) 649-1713, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.